Monday 28 February 2011

Blood Type What?!

The blood type diet is something my husband introduced me to last year. He had heard about it and wanted to check it out. I hemmed and hawed and forgot about it and remembered it and forgot about it again, until one day I found a copy of The Blood Type Diet by Dr. Peter D'Adamo in a used bookstore near my house. I bought the book and brought it home. It sat on our shelf for awhile. Then, to shed a few pounds, we started (and completed) the Xtreme Fat Loss Diet by Joel Marion.

In our last few days of that diet, my sweetheart read The Blood Type Diet and proudly declared this was to be our next diet challenge. He is type A, which lends itself to a vegetarian diet. I am type AB and could remain an omnivore, more or less.

The name of this blog comes from our combined blood types. No, it isn't a weird hybrid type with three alleles instead of two.

At ages 29 (me) and 31 (him), neither of us have serious health problems, and our diet was already full of lean meat, raw veggies, and in my case, limited carbs, so there is nothing we really have to "fix". I look on this diet as a lifelong guide for healthy eating.

Our plan for the first two weeks is to stay true to the hard and fast rules of the diet. After that, we can relax the rules a bit. This will get us used to a new way of eating, and will get me more used to the foods we can and can't have. I do the meal planning and cooking in our house, and need to rethink the way I approach food. The adjustments to our diet are not that extreme, per se, but I am having to get, um, creative with our favourite culinary staples.

But more on that later.

To prepare, I read the AB chapter of the book and downloaded the iPhone app for easy reference. I used the recipe database on Dr. D'Adamo's website to construct my first meal plan, which I'll post in a few days.

Today is day two for us, and my second day without coffee. Aie!

No comments:

Post a Comment