No-Tomato Tomato Sauce (shamelessly copied and slightly amended from Eat Right for Your Type)
Makes enough for two servings of pasta or as sauce for one large pizza.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped onion (about 1/2 an onion, fine dice)
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 4 ounce jar pimientos, undrained
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
- juice of 1/2 a lemon
- Sea salt to taste
- Pinch of sugar or agave
- Saute onions and garlic in olive oil over medium heat a few minutes, until onions soften. Add a pinch of salt while they're cooking to help them soften.
- Add parsley and stir.
- Puree pimientos in food processor or blender with lemon juice.
- Add to pan with basil, oregano and wine.
- Simmer lightly until thickened.
- Turn off the heat and let cool for a couple of minutes. The sauce will thicken a bit once cooled.
- Taste and add salt and/or sugar as needed.